We understand that changing your name on a credit card in 2021 can be burdensome. Although it's a tedious process, it's still doesn't change the fact that the process is quite straight forward. By filling out paperwork, coupled with provided photo ID and solid proof of a name change, you will get the job done. Since credit card companies have unique processes of handlines the name change process, you can save up a lot of time by learning about the process used by the different companies to find out the suitable one before opting in for any of them.
If you need help learning about how to change your name on a credit card, in this piece, we will be sharing with you the steps to changing our name on that credit card of yours while giving you scenarios that would warrant changing your names. So, let's dive into these.
Even though there are lots of reasons why you might want to change your name on a credit card, here are some of the reasons that might warrant that. These reasons include marriage and divorce. These are the two common reasons that would warrant it.
Now that we've cleared out the reasons, let us show you how. As we've mentioned earlier, changing your name on your credit card differs depending on the credit card issuing company. however, there are two things you need to follow. These steps include changing your name with the social security administration as well as changing your name on the government-issued ID. Once you've settled that, then you can then move on to the next steps.
As you probably know by now, it is possible to change the social security card by simply putting a mail through. Also, it is important to note that you can submit your request via the internet. So, what do you need to do to get your new name? Here are some of the things you need to do.
You also need to provide proof that you want to perform a legal change. The ideal documents were asked. So, if you need to know the ideal documents; documents that may include a court order, divorce decree, or marriage certification.
While the process is on, you need to submit a valid means of ID. This ID has to be government-based. For instance, you can provide your passport or driver's license.
You may also be asked to provide proof of citizenship.
When the application for changing your name is complete, the SSA will mail your new SS (Social security) card by using your name. generally speaking, this process takes over 13 days from the time you applied for the new name.
Subconsciously, it is possible that you might want to help someone erase delete, how do you plan to do that. You can change the name of your government-issued ID. So, if you want to do this, there are certain things you need to know. The process involved looking at the food and talking about the laptop. So, what do you need to know?
Meanwhile, you will need to offer your legal and important document to go ahead with the process. For instance, you will need to provide a certificate, court order, or marriage verification. Finally, you will need to do that right now. If you need it.
If you are changing the name on your credit card, you will need a to fill out and print a new form for a Social Security Administration card with the new name. Now, bring that new name along with you to the office and remember not to leave your marriage certificate with any SSA agent that attends to you.
Once the form has been approved, your Social Security card will be given to you within two to four weeks. However, if you are a man, you'll need to do more. For instance, you'll need to get a lawyer. Some state requires petitions, fees, and court hearing before that man is allowed to get the wife's last name.
Unless you are getting married which in this case, you'd need to take your marriage certificate to a local security administration and get that worked with, the first thing you want to do is calling your utility company or cell phone. This can be done on the phone and in case they need proof, you'll then need to provide a marriage certificate. This usually takes a minimum of one billing cycle right before the bill reflects the new name you just changed to. As soon as it arrives, you should keep one with you just in case.
Updating your bank account will be the next thing you should do. While making the name changes, you will be asked to come up with a copy of your marriage certificate (if this is why you are changing the name on your credit card. Do you use direct deposit? If that's the case, you should make sure to talk about your new name. However, if that's the case, the cheque might be held on to (in simple terms, delayed). You should request a new bank credit and debit cards too.
Performing a name change with Bank of America is quite straight forward. Here are the steps to take while changing your name on their credit card.
- Changing your legal documents using the new name.
- Submit one or all of the required documents and show these documents at Bank of America.
- You will be offered a form for you to fill. What you will do is fill out the form by Bank of America.
- In case you don't live close to any of their bank branch, you should call their customer service line.
Name changing with Capital One is quite complex when compared with the other credit card companies. Also, you'll need to get some legal documents ready if you wish to change your name on their credit card. So, what will you need? First of all, you will need to:
- Come with a copy of one of the legal documents you own, especially, one that comes with your new name. For instance, you can submit your driver's license, the new social security card, divorce certificate, court order, and marriage certificate.
- Submit a written name change request, sign the document and put the date.
- You will also need to sign a W-9 form using your new name.
- You'll need to mail some important documents at Capital One. In case their branch is slightly difficult for you, then forward the required documents to them by mailing it to P.O. Box 60, St. Cloud, MN 56302.
It is important to note that you don't have to pack all your documents while trying to change your name. For instance, if you want to correct a misspelling, all you need to do is to send in the W-9 form.
Performing name change on discovering can be quite 'literal'. To perform a name-change on this platform, you'll need to:
- Contact Discover customer service and tell them what you want to do, and why you'd want to change your name in the first place.
- In case it is one of the popular reasons (which could be marriage), then you will need to complete the process in real-time.
- If it's for something legal, you will need to send in your required documents.
American Express is undoubtedly one of the popular credit cards issuing companies out there. To change your name, all you have to do is:
- Sign-in into your online account.
- Once you are able to view and manage your dashboard, you will need to click on the 'Edit' button to edit your name.
- An authorization page will be sent to you, fill this form and submit it online for approval.
- You will need to attach a required means of ID (this should be a government-issued ID).
So, what's the bottom line? name changing on cards is as simple as that. Barring the reason why you'd want to do this, reach out to the company and tell them copies of legal copies and documents. Now that we've all settled the crisis that surrounds changing your name on a credit card, let's take time out to read the instructions again. Let us know your thoughts on this. Leave a comment in the comment section below.